I absolutely LOVE the 4th of July! Yes, I may, okay I AM that mother who dressed her child in something red, white, and blue, every day this week.
Monday
Tuesday
Wednesday
Thursday
Friday
"If tomorrow all the things were gone, I'd worked for all my life." Do these words ring a bell? They should. They are the beginning lyrics to the song God Bless the U.S.A. written by Lee Greenwood, a favorite by many Americas, and one of my personal favorites. As we go through this weekend continuing to celebrate our nation's birthday, I hope that each and every one of you have taken the time to think about those who have/do/and will continue to fight for our nation to give us the luxury of freedom. Yes, that's right, I said luxury.
Too often, we get carried away with our daily lives; tasks, finances, places to be, people to see. We get so wrapped up in cramming as much as possible in each day that we overlook the simple, but SO valuable fact. The fact that we have the ability to do all these things. The fact that through the history of America, many lives have been lost and blood has been shed to allow us the luxury of Freedom. The fact that in many other places in this world people are dictated and told, ruled and mandated.
As we celebrate this holiday, I can't help but notice all the American Flags that are up and flying proudly. Flags in places which you don't normally see them; in courtyards, along streets etc.
(courtyard of a facility I frequent several times a week)
Since the time most of us were young, we have learned to love and respect our nation's flag. What one foreigner could merely describe as 'strips of material sewn together with stars placed on solid blue in the upper left corner', to you and I it means so much more. But, what does it mean? Sure, we all know the story of Betsy Ross sewing the first flag in May of 1776.
But if someone came up to you today, could you explain what today's flag resembles? Could you explain what the colors represent? I don't think I'm unlike many in saying 'no' to answer these questions. I may be able to fumble my way through the thirteen colonies and 50 states explanation, but shouldn't we, as Americans, be able to explain and describe without question? I mean, the flag is our most notable and respected symbol of freedom. Unfortunately, over the years, what we once learned in American History is no longer with us. Of course this doesn't mean we respect the flag any less, but maybe it does mean that we need to take a bit of time to slow down, especially over such holiday as Independence Day. We should allow ourselves to be reminded of why our flag looks the way it does.
Instead of fumbling through old history books, and filtering through thousands of websites which Google so easily found for you on this 'history of the American Flag' quest, I've made it even easier for you:
According to a USA Flag History Site:
"Today the flag consists of thirteen horizontal stripes, seven red alternating with 6 white. The stripes represent the original 13 colonies, the stars represent the 50 states of the Union. The colors of the flag are symbolic as well: Red symbolizes Hardiness and Valor, White symbolizes Purity and Innocence and Blue represents Vigilance, Perseverance and Justice."
And why stars and stripes? Why not hearts or diamonds, squares or circles? According to yet another site:
"The star is a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal of which man has aspired from time immemorial; the stripe is symbolic of the rays of light emanating from the sun."
So, as you continue to go about celebrating over this holiday weekend, remember what we're really celebrating. We're celebrating freedom. And yet we're also remembering those who have sacrificed so much to allow us that freedom. So thank a veteran, and thank a solider who is currently serving. For without them, we would not have the one thing we often take for granted: Freedom. And as you see all those American Flags proudly displayed, remind yourself of what it truly represents, and all the blood, sweat, and tears that have been shed to defend those beautiful colors.
Celebrate Safe!
xoxo
JS
"The star is a symbol of the heavens and the divine goal of which man has aspired from time immemorial; the stripe is symbolic of the rays of light emanating from the sun."
So, as you continue to go about celebrating over this holiday weekend, remember what we're really celebrating. We're celebrating freedom. And yet we're also remembering those who have sacrificed so much to allow us that freedom. So thank a veteran, and thank a solider who is currently serving. For without them, we would not have the one thing we often take for granted: Freedom. And as you see all those American Flags proudly displayed, remind yourself of what it truly represents, and all the blood, sweat, and tears that have been shed to defend those beautiful colors.
Celebrate Safe!
xoxo
JS







No comments:
Post a Comment