Yes. There, I said it. I'm a cheapskate... although I don't even like that word. But how else do you describe someone who whips out their calculator to calculate pennies saved, right in the middle of a store isle?
Now, don't get any crazy ideas in your head, my sense of being cheap could NEVER land me on one of those reality TV shows like Extreme Cheapskates (TLC). I mean, I don't reuse my dental floss, I flush the toilet every time I use it, and I don't eat roadkill. For those of you who haven't seen this show, the things I just mentioned have ALL been done in various episodes. My cheapness doesn't even compare to their's. There's something about good and healthy food, and personal hygiene that I'm a huge fan of.
But let me give you some examples:
1. I know we spend 22cents/diaper on Amazon.com. Last time I had a coupon with purchase along with a store add going on at Target, I got diapers 1/2 off. 320 diapers for $35!
2. I know that even when Hy-Vee has their 12 packs of Diet Coke on sale for $11 (making them 23 cents each), I can get it cheaper still at Costco (14 cents each)
3. I know that if I buy formula in the double pack vs. single, that over the course of feeding 1,000 ounces, I save $40. Now fortunately, Amlin is still getting 1/2 breast milk, but even with that, 1,000 ounces is drank in no time considering she still consumes about 70 ounces of formula per week
4. I use to use Lancome face moisturizer and loved that stuff!! But it's SO pricey. So, I started using Kiehl's. I can get about THREE times the amount for the same price, and for a company that's been around since 1851, I'd say they're pretty reputable!
5. I also have been known to calculate the amount of money spent vs. saved when using a Keurig coffee pot vs. making a full pot of coffee. Do that math and you may fall over. Even if you dump 1/2 the pot that doesn't get drank, you're still saving. But I do like the convenience of not having to make a full pot etc. so here's my solution: buy the filter basket for $20 and grind the beans extra fine at the store. You've only added about 1 minute to your morning routine to fill and then rinse out the basket, and saved yourself oodles of money. If you want various flavors, buy them and a couple different storage canisters (mine came from Bed, Bath & Way Beyond my budget... be sure to use a coupon :)
6. For crying-out-loud, I drove a Mercury with 160,000 that squeaked worse than a mouse getting attacked by a snake, just so I wouldn't have to have a car payment
But, I get it honestly. First from my Grandparents. There was this big event in history called The Great Depression, and my grandparents were old enough to have lived through it as well as old enough to remember those times. With the little amount of money their families had, they learned very quickly how to conserve, re-use, and the difference between wants and needs. If fact, some of these lessons learned, still make their ways into daily living. For example, I have a grandma who re-uses aluminum foil. Yes, that shiny stuff that you can buy from Costco in bulk, which comes on a roll in various sizes with which you cover food with and it gets all crinkly after one use. I've seen that sweet, little lady literally straighten it out and WASH it to reuse it. Kinda like you or I would do with our dirty dishes, except with foil. It's one of those things that when the family gets together, we scurry around looking for 'the foil stash'. When we do find the stash, we can't get it to the trashcan fast enough, and little Grandma just shakes her head and smiles. She knows it's pointless to try and justify it... but it's what she's always done.
My second part of my 'cheapskate' genes comes from my mom. She's been in banking for somewhere around 30 years and from the time I can remember, she always taught needs vs. wants.
SO, I knew it was bad when I saw JB (Husband) wearing a pair of shoes the other day that I'd never seen before. I made the comment about "are those new?" and his response: "No babe, I've had these for like 6 months. I just don't tell you I buy things like this because you always say it's not in the budget". Oh great. So now I've become 'that wife'.? The one who limits her husband's spending when he works and provides for our family too? Don't fool yourself, he does have a Lowe's budget. If not, he'd buy more tools than our garage can hold and probably not even know how to use half of them. But other than that, I never put him on a 'budget'... or so I thought.
There are two things I've always said I'll spend good money on. Make-up and shoes. I told JB:
1. You only have one shot at taking care of your skin. I'm not trying to look 60 when I'm 40. So, if I find something I like and it works, I buy it.
2. I've had surgery on both my feet and bursitis in my hip. I stand and walk a lot the majority of my days. $10 or $110, if they feel good, I'm buying them. And I justify it by the amount of 'wears' I'll get out of them. A pair of heels that cost $100 bucks and I'm going to wear them maybe twice, NO WAY. $50/wear is a no go. But $130 for a pair of tennis shoes that I'll wear 5 days a week for a good 6 months... SOLD. That's about $1/day. And that is worth every bit of comfort and then some.
So, was I bothered about JB not telling me about his new shoes? Not at all! I actually found it a little humorous. But it did make me realize I probably need to loosen up a little on this budget thing. Yes, I have been known to whip my calculator out and figure the amount per piece of whatever I was purchasing. And yes, I do want to try and save for our family where I can but geesh, I don't want to be consider that old lady who makes makes gifts out of dead rodent pelts.
I'm sure in one way or another, we're all looking to save money. So how are ways you save? Feel free to leave comment and share.
Have a great day!
xoxo
JS

1 comment:
Use your secret account....I hope you're using your secret money
Hahahahah you know I had to comment.
Ps remember when you were phsyco about stapling receipts into your notebook?
You are funny.
Post a Comment