Sunday, November 20, 2011

Pay It Forward!

(I'm behind on all I have to say, so let's pretend like this is Friday's post :)... and please be forewarned... there may be a little sass involved)

Grocery shopping... ugh.  I'm not much of a shopper period, and this too entails going to the grocery story.  Here over the past few months, I have many times found myself going to the grocery store after work.  You know, that time when your stomach is painfully growling and all you want to do is cram anything you think you 'may eat' into the cart, pay, and get the heck home.  And on top of all that, I've been going to the store with NO list.  Yes people, so not only am I a starving banshee when I'm there, but I also am carting wildly around the grocery store jamming whatever falls into my hand, in the cart.  Thus makes for extremely high dollar grocery bills and me getting home wondering what I'm going to 'pull together' to please Hubs and I's tummies. 

SO, the past few weeks I've jumped back on my 'old band wagon'.  I've started up my couponing again, and meal planning.  Yes, I try to plan my meals based on what is on sale at the grocery stores.  And no, I am no 'extreme couponer' nor ever desire to be one (I will never use 600 bars of xxxbrand soap in the time I can justify making a stock pile blah blah)!!  Some call me crazy & neurotic, but all it takes is a Sunday paper, a little time, and nice fresh cup of brew.  And it's SO worth it when I see the money I save (or the lack that I spend), when I don't have to think so hard about dinner each night, and the fact that Hubs looks at me like Betty Crocker when I pull together these great meals.

So, Thursday after work, off I go.  List in hand, budget in mind.  Shop, shop, shop and then the cash register.  I get to the cash register and I get behind 'them'.  You know, the woman who was misinformed or didn't read the add right and is now at the register.  I'm. So. Lucky.  In the midst of her rudeness she's performing to the cashier, I realize I forgot something very important on my list.  LARD.  Yes, people, I needed to purchase lard because this weekend, I was going to attempt my very first Adult Solo Pie Crust... and according to my sweet little Grandma, it just isn't the same or near as good with Crisco.  So, after permission from the sweet little cashier who is still being harassed by Nastiness and who has now had the manager called for a 'price check' blah blah, I go on a mad dash back to the meat counter because this Betty Crocker has not the slightest clue where to find lard.  The nice meat guy takes me to Crisco (now really, I said lard, not vegetable oil), but when I told him that's not what I was looking for, he so kindly took me over to the dairy and there is was.  Yes, Hy-Vee came through again.  After the many thank you's to the kind tour guide, I glided my way back up to the cash register, afraid I've already lost my spot.  Nope, Nastiness and all her glory (and her 35+ year old daughter who apparently inherited the 'gene' too) was still there.  I really had to bit my tongue from reminding them that it's not the cashier's fault and yes, we are all human and people do make mistakes.  Sorry Nasty... not everyone is perfect like you think you are.  Okay, so she got what she needed and left.  Thank. Goodness.

And then it was my turn!  I was already perturbed by how rude the lady was to the cashier, so I was trying to be overly nice to the cashier & sacker.  Place the groceries, ring them through (while brief conversation), pay, a quick 'have a good day' and out.  But just when the cashier gave me my total, the lady behind me says 'I have a coupon you can use' and hands me a $5 off coupon for groceries.  People... a Stranger behind me just handed me $5!!!  How kind!  Not only did she hand me the coupon, but then she also gave me her whole coupon book!!  I offered her money and she turned it down giving me a quick explanation of it being a fundraiser for her daughter and that she had bought several of them.  So, I paid ($5 less) and headed out. 




I haven't forgotten about this kind gesture this woman chose to do for me!  And I do plan on passing it on.  I haven't decided yet how, but it is on my list this week.  Just when I was so embarrassed for / upset about the woman in front of me, little did I know there was someone right over my shoulder who made up for Ms. Nasty!  Just remember.... it doesn't matter how small You may think the gesture is, in the eye of the receiver, it could mean something completely different and so much bigger!  To the lady who was behind me: you made my Week!  You are my reminder that there still are 'good strangers' in this world!  Thank you!

Love,
Jacey

No comments: