I tend to be one of those 'you can take the girl out of the country, but can't take the country out of the girl' kinda girls. I grew up in a town in which everyone knew everyone and there wasn't even a stoplight found in the town... although I'm still not sure there's a need for one. One may say a life growing up in Camp Point, Illinois is 'boring' and 'slow', but I say they have no clue on what they are missing. I wouldn't be who I am without those small town experiences. Living in the area I currently live in, I find it absolutely mind boggling at times, the 'things' people spend money on and the materialism that is all around. Man, some of these people's 'needs' blow my mind. After living 'the simple life' and then moving the the city, I know there are things in which I appreciate that others expect. Sad yes, but true... Thank you Mom, Dad and family!!
So, that all being said, a taste of 'the simple life' came to Kansas City. That's right, Kansas City Sprint Center welcomed the American Royal Rodeo and THE Reba McEntire! Now, I've seen Reba perform before and I knew I'd like to again, so I talked my Amazing Mom to come visit, and away we went, downtown. You know how being with your Mom always just makes your heart 'feel good'? So having my Mom in town and going to a country event... what more could I want!? I even liked the smell of cattle when we walked in... weird I know, but it's country :). We made it just in time to see the last hour of the rodeo, to include barrel racing, roping, and bull riding. I loved seeing all the cowboy boots and plaid shirts. There were cowboys and cowgirls from all over the nation: Wyoming, Arkansas, Texas, and Oklahoma just to name a few. In my opinion, these are the people who enjoy life the most. They may not have all the 'things', but they've worked hard to get what they have and there's something about being raised in a small town and sitting down for a family dinner every night that the city just doesn't provide. These people put in an honest day's work, love what they do, and have a desire to work hard and be the best. Time means everything..... it's not about how much money you have or who you know. It's about how fast your horse can get around the barrels, or if you can hang on for that 8 seconds. Numbers don't lie... time is numbers.... and the best time wins.
Mom & I
Once all the animals were herded and rode, the stage was set up and there she was, just feet from us! I absolutely love Reba. I first became an avid listener when I was a young lil' thing and would listen to Reba McEntire's Greatest, Vol. 2 on my cassette tape. I would belt the tunes of Fancy, Walk On, The Greatest Man I Never Knew, etc., listening to them on & on, flip the tape and continue on side 2. It's amazing when you hear these songs live how those memories come rushing back. And even Reba's 'new music' continues to portray the talent of a young woman who sings about life, the country, and family.... all the important things.
I once was at this neat little place in Nashville, TN called 'The Bluebird Cafe'. If you ever visit the Nashville area and are a country music fan, I highly suggest going. You can find visiting information here. This is a quaint little place in which song writers come and play their music in front of a very intimate & quiet crowd. There's usually about 4 or 5 writers at each show and they continue to go in a circle playing songs they have written. The talent is thick in Nashville, and to play at 'The Bluebird' can be described as being on one's bucket list. Many times, prior to starting a song, the writer may give a little explanation as to where the song came from, where they may have been at the time they thought of it, or what they may have been experiencing in their life at the time, to inspire the work. Some of the songs you may never have heard, while others you may hear on your local radio on the top country charts. Well this particular night, there were song writers for many 'big names' such a Carrie Underwood, Dierks Bentley, Rascal Flats etc. The circle came around again to this one gentleman, and instead of explaining where his next number came from, he decided he was going to play a voice mail for us. So, he gets out his flip phone, dials the number, and puts it on speaker phone... and then came the voice: It was REBA! She had called to wish him a Happy New Year and thank him for the 'number one' he had written and she had just recently recorded (Consider Me Gone), and then he went on to play it. My respect for her talent was high, but after this, my respect for her as an individual was (and still is) sky rocketed. With all the fame and fortune she has accomplished, she still found the time to thank (one of) the individuals who had a major part in her success..... How absolutely thoughtful. She probably thought it was no big deal to pick up the phone and make that call, but to him, it meant so much more and I'm so lucky I was there when he shared it. So...what type of small things have you done lately to let someone know you appreciate them and what they do... even if it's simply picking up the phone to say 'Thank You'. It's all about the Small Things.
Love,
Jacey
Jacey

1 comment:
I love it! And I love us small town girls:)
Post a Comment